10.07.2008

Why They Call Me Milton



First picture: Betsy, me and Erica. These girls are a few of my oldest friends. I loved getting to catch up with them in LR last time I was home.


Second picture: Cleve and me. We were two of three Elizabeth's in our class growing up. She became Cleve, short for her maiden name, and I became Milton around about the 7th grade.

On pretty much a whim, the four of us got together that Friday night which is pretty much amazing to get to do that unplanned, especially when you don't all live in the same place. Betsy had bought her first house and so we gathered there and had a grand ole time talking about our yesterdays together. It reminded me of that Wilco song about being back in your old neighborhood. I SO felt that way.

I started thinking back about all of our paths after high school and where they'd taken us: U of Alabama, UNC, Middlebury, Miami of Ohio, Vanderbilt, Hendrix and the UofA. I think it's pretty impressive that we have all found our way back to each other, somehow. And we honestly still care about each others' lives.

Anyway, these girls are dear to me. They pretty much named me Milton, too. I have a feeling that even though we're not in each others' daily lives, we will keep up. There are several from this group not pictured here and to them I dedicate this post as well. Allison, Whitney, Laura, Chase and Lara, I love you girls!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me cry!!! I love the way you write, straight from your heart!!!

Sharon S. Cowell, designer said...

i feel left out...friend. ;(

Unknown said...

AHHHH! You're so right Sharon! You ARE one of those oldest and most precious P.A. friends from that group! I remember writing this right after dinner and before bath time the other night and as I published it I thought, "Who am I forgetting here?" (Later thought of Mimi & you from that group. I need to get my yearbook out!) For the record, Sharon, I love YOU dearly, have fondest memories of matching Strong mini-vans, and dedicate this post to as well. Tell me if my brain fries like this again. ;)

The Walkie Talkie said...

Good stroll down memory lane! I agree with Betsy...love how you write, straight from the heart!

Lots of love, JB