Day before yesterday, maybe, Paste Magazine sent a tweet notifying us, the music-adoring public, of Neutral Milk Hotel's new audiophile-quality vinyl release. I want it. So then, this morning I read their article (and so should you if you love this band), "Oh Comely: Five Neutral Milk Hotel Covers Worth Hearing".
The first YouTube link is to Jesse Lacey singing "Oh Comely". You might be worried that someone would butcher this beautifully complex song. He nails it. So then, Kevin Devine, Manchester Orchestra and Brand New cover "Holland, 1945". They rocked. Don't miss the marching drum. After that, Frightened Rabbit's Scott Hutchison covers "Song Against Sex" and while in a lovely garden, a few of his "wails" made me flinch just a little bit with their pitch-y-ness. Also, it's a little hard to hear so turn this one way up. Still good and heartfelt, though. The fourth cover is Fanfarlo singing "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea", and I have to say I agree with the writer of the piece who thinks he sounds a lot like Jeff Mangum. Incredible. Lastly, The Mountain Goats cover "Two-Headed Boy" and you can click that link for a listen of an mp3. This song, along with its reprise, "Two-Headed Boy Part II", are probably my favorite NMH songs. However, I have to say that I don't at all think The Mountain Goats nailed "Two-Headed Boy". But, go listen for yourself. Your taste might be different than mine.
Also, there's a link in the first paragraph to a great and even comical assessment of The Best Worst Voices In Indie Rock. Notice Mr. Jeff Mangum is #2. I couldn't agree more with their call on Joanna Newsom when said, "Speaking of love-it-or-hate-it—Newsom’s screeches and squeaks are almost too much. But when it works, it works." And, of Colin Meloy of The Decemberists, "Meloy’s voice is strong and consistent, but its distinct, enunciated sound is a turn-off for some people." I agree. If you don't like Morrisey and their tendency to sound whiny, you might feel the same about Mr. Meloy. Great part about that article? They have song samples for you to listen to for yourself at the bottom of the page.
After I read this article about the NMH covers early this morning, it was 58 degrees and I was driving with the windows down playing a little (wimpy) game of "Freeze Out" all by myself, and I started to think of all the music that reminds of me Fall. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea TOTALLY reminds me of Fall (especially the Fall of 1999), more than any other album I can think of. It is SO October/November to me. Other silly things that remind me of Fall? A Macintosh scented Yankee candle, candy corn, all things mum, hot drinks in Styrofoam cups that always tip and burn your fingers because you seem to be walking somewhere with them, tights, scarves, cardigans, boots and corn casserole. I love them and Neutral Milk Hotel, all. The end.
P.S. I'd like to give a shout out to my dad on what would have been his 65th birthday today. This place just ain't the same without ya. Love you, miss you. To pieces.
10.05.2009
Labels:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment