7.21.2009

Let's Read and Stuff

We're in our third week of a super cool Reading Readiness class with our oldest, Thomas, right now. We signed up with our buddy, Isaac, and me and Isaac's Mama, go with the boys every Friday morning to see their eyes widen and brains expand with wonder. It's pretty amazing. My cheeks hurt after the first class from smiling so much at them.

Our workbook dedicates 25 pages to suggested reading. This book-list is full of beloved, revered, Caldecott winners. I even love some of these books. Some from my childhood, some just from reading them with my kids. To make this reading thing seem like the big
deal that it is, we went and got Thomas his very own library card. The day we got it, he learned how to scan a book to check out (much advanced since my day of scratching my large, awkward handwriting onto a card found at the back of a book), how to play the computer games for Pre-K kids and he did puzzle after puzzle. Did you know you can check not only books out, but puzzles, videos and cd's?

Well, several of the books on our list were already checked out the day he got his card. I asked the Librarian and she showed me via computer system, how to reserve them. So, I did! I reserved half a dozen books and we picked them up today after dropping off three from Thomas' maiden voyage.

Today, we checked out
Hansel and Gretel, Madeline, The Story of Babar, The Very Quiet Cricket, Frog and Toad Are Friends & the soon to be released made into a movie Where The Wild Things Are.

Here are some others we've loved that I wanted to share them here so you all could share in the love: Corduroy, A House for Hermit Crab, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Snowy Day, The Little Engine that Could, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Curious George, The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, There's a Wocket in My Pocket, Caps for Sale, The Polar Express and King Bidgood's in the Bathtub.

After we got home and my youngest went down for a nap, I let Thomas pick one of his new books to read. Like the good mischievous Max that he is, he p
icked, Where The Wild Things Are. We read it through twice and talked through it. I decided that a little activity would be fun for this book so I had Thomas pick construction paper, colors and all, and he drew some and had me draw some shapes he wanted to make to pretend that his room turned like Max's did, into a "forest".

Here is his room, complete with a house, sun, moon, an oc
tagon and several "play" areas. While I did most of the cutting, he did ALL of the gluing.

And, since he was busy and this was our activity together, I made one too. I free-handed Max and two of the Wild Things, cut them out and glued their shapes onto pink and black paper Thomas picked out for me. We had a blast! We read it a third time tonight and he went to bed reading this beloved classic all by himself (oh, the warm fuzzies here).

7 comments:

Allison Nelson said...

Girl, look at you! I'm so impressed with your craftiness!
I love that book so much! My Mom gave us my copy from when I was little and Emma loves it.
When does the movie come out?
Miss you!

kaw said...

Those are some of Thomas Watkins' favorite books too! :) Two of his favorites right now are The Selfish Crocodile and Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel...

Unknown said...

Just for clarity, Thomas didn't actually read the words last night as he went to sleep. He "spent time" with the book looking at pictures and hopefully recognizing a couple letter and sounds.

I think the movie comes out this fall, Allison. It's such a great book!

We'll have to check those out too, Kim!

Lynn said...

Where the Wild Things are is the first book your big bro bought for your little niece. It's always been one of my faves too. All the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If You Give a Cat a Cupcake and so on are pretty darn hilarious. Too old for Miss Mallory yet but I bet Thomas and Wyatt would love them! Of course, you guys could have already read these.

Amber@theRunaMuck said...

Along with Going on a Bear Hunt, this is our favorite.

Goodness Gracious at how creative you guys are!

Unknown said...

That is maybe, one of my favorite memories of growing up with Michael. We would read this in Michael's room in our pj's and try not to fight about who got to sit where. I was always scared that I'd get in trouble and be sent to bed without dinner too. I'm not at all surprised he bought this for his little doll baby.

We don't have those books, Aunt Lynn! Christmas for the boys, maybe?

Erin said...

love this post. you rock, mama.