3.17.2009

Worms For Dinner?


Oh me. I had made what is called ropa viejo, or 'dirty laundry' in Spanish, the other night for Community Group. It's basically a Mexican-rubbed roast over rice with green beans. I heated up the leftovers for my hungry kiddos and Thomas first ate his roll, then some green beans. I asked him if he'd eaten any of his meat and rice. He looked at me just as serious as could be, burst into tears and said, "It has WORMS in it!"

I looked at his plate and tried to hold my laughter back because by golly, he meant it about those worms. The green beans did look like worms. I said, "Buddy, those are green beans, not worms." He quickly came back through tears and said, "No, not those...THIS!" as he pointed to his meat and maggot-looking mixture. I told him that was rice and meat that I had pulled apart with two forks like we sometimes have with carrots and potatoes. I pulled the Yo! Gabba Gabba song out, "Try it, you'll like it! I tried it and I like it!"

I assuredly said, "I would never feed you worms, Goose." I guess he finally believed me. There he is above trying it.


This is Wyatt after he ate the entire contents of his plate. Green beans, worms and maggots all. His hair is also plastered to his head because after he cleaned his plate, he put it on his head. If you look closely, he's saying, "cheese."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you dear friend.....i truly appreciate the sweet words. thank you for your prayers.
your sweet boys are also growing...love the curls and the dark hair...:)